Cost-Benefit Analysis for Building a New Hospital
Explain what is meant by cost benefit analysis and consider how it might be used by a government to decide whether a new hospital should be built.
Economic Growth and Development
CIE A Level October/November 2022
- Definition of cost-benefit analysis.
- Overview of its role in government decision-making.
⏩II. Understanding Cost-Benefit Analysis⏩
- Deep-dive into the concept of cost-benefit analysis.
- Positive and negative externalities.
- The importance of assigning a monetary value to these costs/benefits.
⏩III. Time and Cost-Benefit Analysis⏩
- The relevance of time and present value of benefits in cost-benefit analysis.
⏩IV. Application to Building a Hospital⏩
- How the principles of cost-benefit analysis can be applied to the decision to build a new hospital.
- Discussion on private costs, negative externalities, and positive externalities associated with building a hospital.
⏩V. Evaluating Cost-Benefit Analysis⏩
- The challenges and difficulties of implementing cost-benefit analysis.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of cost-benefit analysis.
- Final thoughts on cost-benefit analysis, its strengths, and its weaknesses in decision-making processes.
1. ⏩Understand the concepts⏩⬅: Make sure you have a clear understanding of the key economic principles involved in the question. In this case, understanding what cost-benefit analysis involves is crucial.
2. ⏩Define terms⏩⬅: Start your essay by defining the key terms in the question. This helps to set the context of your answer and shows your understanding of the topic.
3. ⏩Provide examples⏩⬅: Applying the concept to real-life examples can make your argument more relatable and robust. In this essay, we used the example of building a hospital.
4. ⏩Analyse⏩⬅: Break the question down into parts and devote paragraphs to each aspect. Make sure you're covering all aspects of the question.
5. ⏩Evaluate⏩⬅: Discuss the strengths and weaknesses or pros and cons of the concept. This shows a deeper level of understanding and analysis.
6. ⏩Conclude⏩⬅: Summarise your key points in a conclusion that clearly answers the essay question. This should not introduce any new information but should be a concise wrap-up of your argument.
7. ⏩Proofread⏩⬅: Always go through your essay once you're done. This helps to catch any grammatical errors, and you can ensure that your argument flows well and makes sense.
Ops... End of preview!
Already purchased Economics Study Pack subscription? Amazing! Click below