A level and O level ECONOMICS
Access 400+ Economics Essays With the Economics Study Pack
(Free previews below!)
What if you could score the highest grades possible on your economics essays? Subscribe and get access to a collection of high-quality A+ economics essays.
Simple and clear english
Diagrams included where relevant
For A level, AS level, GCSEs and O level.
Promoting Bicycle Purchase
Analyse how a government could promote the purchase of bicycles.
Public Finance and Government Intervention
Frequently asked question
Use clear and concise language to express your ideas and arguments.
To promote the purchase of bicycles, a government can implement several strategies:
➡️1. Subsidizing bicycle producers: By providing subsidies to bicycle producers, the government can reduce their production costs. This can lead to lower bicycle prices and improvements in quality, making bicycles more affordable and attractive to consumers.
➡️2. Subsidizing bicycle consumers: Direct subsidies to consumers can increase their purchasing power and make bicycles more accessible. This financial support can incentivize individuals to choose bicycles as a mode of transportation.
➡️3. Reducing bicycle taxes: Lowering or eliminating taxes on bicycles can significantly reduce their overall cost to consumers. This can make bicycles more affordable and encourage their purchase.
➡️4. Developing cycle infrastructure: Introducing and expanding the number of cycle lanes and dedicated cycling infrastructure can create a safer and more convenient environment for cyclists. Improved infrastructure can increase the appeal of cycling as a mode of transportation and encourage more people to choose bicycles.
➡️5. Taxing or increasing the price of alternative forms of transport: Implementing higher taxes or increasing the prices of other transportation options, such as bus travel or cars, can make bicycles a more attractive alternative. This can help shift consumer preferences towards bicycles by making them a relatively more affordable and convenient option.
➡️6. Advertising and awareness campaigns: The government can run advertising campaigns and educational programs to promote the health benefits of cycling. These initiatives can highlight the positive impact of cycling on individuals' physical health and well-being. Additionally, efforts to make bicycles more fashionable and attractive to consumers can help change societal attitudes and preferences towards cycling.
By combining these strategies, the government can effectively promote the purchase of bicycles, encouraging a shift towards more sustainable and environmentally friendly modes of transportation.
- Brief overview of the importance of promoting cycling as a mode of transportation
II. Subsidising Bicycle Producers
- Explanation of how subsidising bicycle producers can reduce production costs and improve quality
- Discussion of how this can lead to lower prices and make bicycles more affordable for consumers
III. Subsidising Bicycle Consumers
- Explanation of how subsidising bicycle consumers can increase their purchasing power
- Discussion of how this can make bicycles more accessible to a wider range of people
IV. Reducing Tax on Bicycles
- Explanation of how reducing tax on bicycles can encourage bicycle purchases
- Discussion of how this can make bicycles more affordable for consumers
V. Introducing/Increasing Cycle Lanes
- Explanation of how introducing/increasing cycle lanes can make cycling safer and faster
- Discussion of how this can encourage more people to cycle
VI. Taxing/Raising Prices of Other Forms of Transport
- Explanation of how taxing/raising prices of other forms of transport can discourage their consumption
- Discussion of how this can encourage people to choose cycling as a more affordable and sustainable option
VII. Advertising/Campaigns/Educating People about Health Benefits of Cycling
- Explanation of how advertising/campaigns/educating people about the health benefits of cycling can make bicycles more fashionable/attractive to consumers
- Discussion of how this can encourage more people to choose cycling as a mode of transportation
- Recap of the various strategies for promoting cycling as a mode of transportation
- Emphasis on the importance of promoting sustainable and healthy transportation options.
• Subsidise bicycle producers - reducing production costs - lowering price - improving quality - making them more affordable -
• Subsidise bicycle consumers - increasing their purchasing power -
• Reduce the tax on bicycles - encouraging bicycle purchases -
• Introduce/increase the number of cycle lanes - making it safer/faster to cycle -
• Tax/raise the price of other forms of transport - e.g. bus travel, cars - which are substitutes - discouraging their consumption -
• Advertising/campaigns/educate people about the health benefits of cycling - make bicycles more fashionable/attractive to consumers -