Income Increase and Mobility of Labor
Discuss whether or not the 🍃Introduction of a national minimum wage will reduce poverty. In assessing each answer, use the table opposite. Why it might:
Labor Market and Income Distribution
Frequently asked question
- Definition of minimum wage
- Importance of minimum wage in reducing poverty
II. Pros of increasing minimum wage
- Low-paid workers may be better paid
- Higher income may enable people to buy basic necessities
- Reduce absolute poverty
- Pay gap between high-income and low-income workers may be reduced, lower relative poverty
- Higher pay may increase spending, creating more jobs and income
- Higher tax revenue may enable the government to spend more on reducing poverty
- Higher wages may increase productivity which could encourage firms to hire more workers.
III. Cons of increasing minimum wage
- May be set below current low pay and so have no effect
- May result in some workers losing their jobs
- Unemployed will have lower income
- May discourage MNCs operating in the country
- Does not help people who are poor because of age, unemployment or sickness
- May result in inflation, leaving purchasing power/real wages unchanged.
- Summary of pros and cons
- Importance of considering both sides before making a decision.
Ops... End of preview!
Already purchased Economics Study Pack subscription? Amazing! Click below